Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spinal Touch: Hullabaloo or Healing Happiness?

I blame most of my physical ailments to birthing children-- from the obvious varicose veins and stretch marks to the subtle skewed pelvis, neck & back pain. Nothing is ever quite the same. But we love those little buggers & would do it all again, despite the everlasting repercussions.

With yoga, strength training, foam rolling, massage, & chiropractic, I've been able to alleviate neck and back pain whenever it flares up, but it has yet to ever permanently go away. As someone who's so active, these recurring issues can be more than just annoying-- they can be depressing, devastating, and defeating. When you fuel your body properly, exercise it properly, you want & demand 100% performance capacity.

So yesterday was interesting. My lower back has been tight and achy for several months now. It wasn't the marathon training, or the bodybuilding, or the Costco shopping that did me in. It was giving myself a pedicure, of all things! So, yeah, spend the $30 at Royal Nails-- it's WORTH it! But I digress . . .

Back to yesterday. My back was tight and achy as usual, but nothing strong enough to stop me from most exercise. I got a great 3 mile run done on the track-- 23:45. I was inwardly celebrating! My 2012 goal is to get down to a 7:30 pace at 5K distance, & already I felt like I was off to a solid start. I wanted to really hit it hard yesterday, so my plan was to follow up my running appetizer with a meal of weights & a dessert of stairmill-- delish! I decided to change it up a bit & try kettle bell again, which I've avoided since my umbilical hernia surgery in October.

So there I am, glistening with sweat, pumping out kettle bell squats into a one-arm overhead press, when suddenly, BAM, my lower back seizes. Right there in my sacral area that I've been working on so diligently with the chiro for the past month. It was bound to happen, and yet, I was upset. I mouthed an expletive. Yeah, it was almost as bad as the close-up shots on a ball game where the coach is more than a little pissed. I tried to loosen it up, see if it went away if I just rearranged my body a bit. Nope. Not happenin'. I scratched my workout plan & hit the mats for some restorative stretching. Child's pose, spinal twist, straddles up the wall, knee hugs, happy baby pose-- everything I knew that would hit the spot. But I still hurt & began moving like a robot.

In the car, I googled "Ideal Bodyworks" on my phone-- a dear friend had JUST mentioned this place to me. Destiny, I'm sure. I had no idea what they did exactly, but I knew it helped with back problems. I dialed the number & asked for an appt. I was in luck-- someone had just cancelled their 4:30, would that work for me, why yes. (Later I read a testimonial by a guy who said he had been put on a wait list when he called for an appt & got in 6 weeks later. Very lucky I got in yesterday!)

Once home, I extricated myself from my car, retrieved an ice pack from the freezer, and positioned myself on top of it lying supine on the floor. I checked the time. And then lay there for a solid 20 minutes, perusing facebook on my iphone & yelling at the dog to stop barking-- I couldn't get up to let her in yet & I knew all she'd do is lick my face while I was down.

Then I hit the hot tub-- ah, the gift that keeps giving! I'm so glad I convinced the hubby that this would be the best Christmas gift to our family-- it's already seen much use! I got in, fully dressed in my workout clothes, closed my eyes, & tried to meditate my way to healing. After 20 minutes, I mentally planned how in the world I would get out of the hot tub without straining my back even more. Once I had the technique in mind, I went for it & came out okay.

After my shower, I massaged some essential oils into the spot. Mmmm, it heated up and smelled delightful and eased the pain a little. But I was still hurtin'. So despite my efforts to avoid pharmaceuticals, I popped 2 ibuprofen. A little more relief, enough to get through my To Do list for the day until my 4:30 appt.

Finally, appointment time. I was shocked to discover the location was so close to my house, my kids' school, the same complex where my son used to take guitar lessons. How many times had I driven past this place & never knew it to exist? Like any other facility, I had to first fill out medical info forms. Then Judy introduced herself. To be honest, I had originally assumed she was the receptionist, as she had been the one to answer my call, was seated at the desk, & handled my paperwork. But when she led me back, I realized this was a one-man band today. Was it always like this? Seemed sketchy . . .

She began selling me on Spinal Touch therapy, showing me before & after pics, telling me how people get immediate results, bla bla bla. I thought, "Save the schpiel. I'm already buying the product, so why are you trying to sell me on it?" I wanted to get to work and she wanted to talk, talk, talk. Later I realized this is probably due to her passion for her work-- she's excited & knowledgeable, & wants to share what she knows. I get it. But in the moment, I wanted pain relief, and if it was so great, just hurry and show me!

First, I had to get in a gown, undressed to my scivvies. Umm, did not realize this or maybe would've worn more than a thong. Luckily, bodybuilding competitions taught me to be comfortable with my naked body, & I didn't mind showing the lovely Judy my chunky cheeks. I'm actually glad I was so underdressed-- the biggest visible before and after was in my right and left gluteals! I will spare you those pics :)

I stood facing the wall with my heels flush to wooden supports. I stood naturally as she took a rear and side photo. Now she knew better what she was working with. She had me lie face down on the massage table, which had nice arm rests, and she began her technique. It reminded me of when my sister and I as little girls shared a bed and entertained ourselves at night playing what we so aptly called, "Little Man on the Back"-- the massage was rather wussy compared to the deep tissue I usually request, as Judy just caressed lightly with her fingers in circular motions, tracing a pattern along my back. It was nice. But surely this couldn't be doing anything! She got excited as she worked, how my muscles were "superior" and responding so well. In about 15 minutes or less, she was done.

She had me sit up and warned me I might be dizzy & a little drunken-like. She was right. Walking back to the wall was funny. As I assumed the same position as before, she took new pictures. She was excited about the difference. I felt off, but in a good way. Like my imbalances were shifting, righting themselves, and my body was trying to adjust. As a personal trainer & yoga instructor, I was eager to look at the photos, too. She left the room so I could dress, then we huddled around her computer and studied the results, each of us squealing with glee at the changes that had occurred in just one session! My doubts were dissipating.





She instructed me to drink plenty of water, take a hot bath for 17.5 minutes with epsom salt, and return on Monday. She told me I might feel weird pains in other areas as my body re-adjusts itself. The soft tissues are relaxing, causing bones, joints, muscles to shift where they belong. She was right. I felt weird tinges in my right ankle bone and glutes. I obeyed all her orders. Today, I taught an hour of Zumba & 30 minutes Pilates & felt great! This to me, is a miracle. She said I would progressively feel better, and I have throughout the day.

Yeah, I'm a believer. I might even get religious. Can't wait for my next session! I'll keep you posted . . .

3 comments:

  1. Judy actually was in my old ward. She's very nice and I've been meaning to go in and see her. You are lucky you got in so soon. I'm glad to hear you're a believer...I might just have to go and schedule an appointment now. Thanks for the 411.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, thank you for your blog. There are so few of us therapists in America that do Spinal Touch (more in Europe, tho).
    in my experience, Spinal Touch treatments are the only thing out there that actually work. Yet so simple! I am a spinal touch therapist in Denver - if anyone knows of another, please let me know. I would love to exchange treatments - need one so badly and havent had one since schooling in 2006 in SLC at Myotherapy Institute of Massage. I also spoke to Dr. Rosquist, D.C. on the phone once. He told me, "I tie my shoelaces the same way you do, sweetie. It's the therapy that holds the power!" By learning Spinal touch, you'll hold the most powerful in your hands." He said he helped more patients' with spinal touch than he did with his chiropractic treatments. Rest in Peace, Dr. LaMar Rosquist.
    I thank God that He led me to this treatment. I was a HS athlete and from many falls, ended up with a herniated disc in my neck in my late 30's. I did everything - chiropractic, deep tissue massage, physical therapy, cranial sacral, rolfing, Valium, flouroscopic steroid injections - eventually herniated disc surgery now with a plate in my neck. Found Spinal Touch by accident thru my massage classes and finally found the fountain of youth! It took 20 years of pain away with 4 sessions. I miss having them and i'm now 53 - my body needs another spinal touch! I think i'll have to teach this to the world.

    brendakay22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, thank you for your blog. There are so few of us therapists in America that do Spinal Touch (more in Europe, tho).
    in my experience, Spinal Touch treatments are the only thing out there that actually work. Yet so simple! I am a spinal touch therapist in Denver - if anyone knows of another, please let me know. I would love to exchange treatments - need one so badly and havent had one since schooling in 2006 in SLC at Myotherapy Institute of Massage. I also spoke to Dr. Rosquist, D.C. on the phone once. He told me, "I tie my shoelaces the same way you do, sweetie. It's the therapy that holds the power!" By learning Spinal touch, you'll hold the most powerful in your hands." He said he helped more patients' with spinal touch than he did with his chiropractic treatments. Rest in Peace, Dr. LaMar Rosquist.
    I thank God that He led me to this treatment. I was a HS athlete and from many falls, ended up with a herniated disc in my neck in my late 30's. I did everything - chiropractic, deep tissue massage, physical therapy, cranial sacral, rolfing, Valium, flouroscopic steroid injections - eventually herniated disc surgery now with a plate in my neck. Found Spinal Touch by accident thru my massage classes and finally found the fountain of youth! It took 20 years of pain away with 4 sessions. I miss having them and i'm now 53 - my body needs another spinal touch! I think i'll have to teach this to the world.

    brendakay22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete