Sunday, April 25, 2010

Get Ready, Get Set . . . Phase 2!

So it's been awhile since I blogged because I took it easy the past week. I finished my first 5 weeks, met with trainer Jill and had lost 9.5% body fat! I met my goal and then some, dropping to just over 119 lbs. She had me arrive for our follow-up in a bikini. Nothin' like being on display as she studied my physique, like a skilled sculptor assessing a work in progress. Apparently, I need a bigger bum and flatter tummy, because she recommended that I really hit the glutes and abs! Yes, fitmama can take a hint! It's not the first time my cupcakes have fallen flat, and at least she was kind about it-- unlike certain family members at reunions whose first remark upon seeing me after years is not "hi, you look great" but "you have no butt, just like Grandma."

I felt great about my tan but insecure about stretch marks (trainer Jill has none, despite many babies), but she pointed out it's nothin' a good spray tan can't fix. We'll see about that if I ever get the guts to actually compete . . . She also recommended I go lighter on inner and outer thighs, if at all. Yes, mama's got Olympian thighs, all that running. But she's right-- I do get carried away on abductors and adductors because I'm just so damn proud of the fact that I've almost maxed out on the machine. Pride. I like to take it to the highest notches, esp. after a man has been on the machine. Then I smirk, with a look on my face that says, "Yes, I could strangle you with these puppies."

After staring me up and down, she got to work with directions: this many reps on this muscle, and light load here, and heavy load there, and do this on this day and that on that day. My head is still spinning. Luckily, she typed it all up for me, but I know I'm going to spend the first couple weeks getting my new routine down. Then she furiously began crunching numbers on her calculator, now focused on my diet. Again, she gave me all sorts of new directions, after I finally figured out the first phase of eating, now it's totally re-vamped. I've spent the past 48 hours trying to work out my new meal plans. I get so confused that once I figure out a meal that fits all the requirements, I repeat it every day!

Basically, I now get more carbs, but it's mostly fruits and veggies. Well, mostly veggies. Even for breakfast. No more oatmeal. Have I mentioned that I've eaten oatmeal virtually every single morning for the past five years of my life? I'm kind of an addict. It's my comfort food. Warm, mildly sweet, filling, clean, reliable oatmeal. Now if I want to partake, it's for dinner, every 4th day, when I get a meal of choice. And yes, I may actually choose oatmeal over a Cafe Rio salad.

I figured if I could throw some spinach and fruit into a blender with protein powder, I'd have an easy breakfast that fit the bill. But right now, trainer Jill says no shakes or juices. The real stuff, untouched. Now I'm trying to concoct an egg white veggie casserole that I could pre-bake, then nuke every morning and eat with a side of fruit. I hope that fits the bill. Do you realize how much spinach it takes to equal 9 grams of carbs?? I'm guesstimating that I'll go through at least 4 of the Costco-sized tubs of spinach a week. Just not sure I could stomach raw carrots and broccoli for breakfast.

I thought the first phase of eating was difficult-- this next phase appears a bit harder, despite the complex carb allowance (which generally equals the equivalent of 1 slice of Sara Lee Delightful bread or 3 Stacy's Naked Pita chips a meal). I only get 5 meals as opposed to 6, which I really liked because when I felt moments of desperation, I knew my next meal was just around the corner. Now I have an extra hour of waiting. I'm sure I'll fill the time productively . . .  I've found Orbitz gum gets me from meal to meal, but I think my jaw is starting to pay for it. Or maybe it was the stress last week of studying and taking the Praxis exam, which I'm worried I may have failed because writer mama spent too much time on the first few essay questions and didn't finish them all.

At least it's over. And now I can stop all the stress cheat-eating, and start this new phase of eating. Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the hard work its really showing, you have re-inspired me to get back on the eating well wagon to shread those last few lbs :D

    ReplyDelete