Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Workouts

Sorry to my followers, all 3 of you. It was Spring Break this past week, and I've been busily playing with my kids. Fortunately, I've recovered from that initial sugar-free irritability, so I actually enjoyed our week together, for the most part. On Tuesday, after teaching my Zumba class in the morning & because I cancelled my running class for Wednesday morning, I packed up the kids, our swimsuits, and hiking shoes, and headed 3 1/2 hours south to Utah's only hot dessert, St. George. I was sick of rain, snow, hail, and freezing temps, and I was determined to chase some warmer weather, even if it meant 3 1/2 hours in a minivan with 3 kids and no DVD player.

The kids were pretty good during most of the drive, but my bladder, not so much. Have I mentioned that my trainer recommended I drink a gallon of water a day? After 45 minutes of driving, I had to hit a gas station restroom. I don't even feel guilty that I get no gas, no giant plastic cups of carbonated, sugary beverages, no chocolate-covered miniature cake donuts. I'm a woman with a purpose: must empty bladder.

I realized that I would have to halt my water drinking for the remainder of the drive, because after that particular city, there's a lot of nothin' for endless miles. I don't even pop a squat during a marathon; I am by no means doing it during a road trip in the middle of a cold, deserted highway.

I tried to stick to my eating, though, as much as possible on this road trip. I had my cooler within reach, packed with hard-boiled egg whites, liquid morph, and deli-sliced ham. I had my cocoa almonds handy for when I needed something sweet. I didn't even touch the kids' pretzels, granola bars, and leftover Easter candy (okay, there may have been some jelly bean slippage, but it was negligible). I also packed my protein powder and shaker bottle. I was set.

When we arrived in St. George, we hit the outlet shops, then dinner at Chili's. Luckily, as far as I'm concerned, one does not go to St. George for its unique and to-die-for cuisine. I opted for Chili's because I knew I could get the guiltless salmon, no rice. Then we went to the family-friendly Budget Inn & Suites, equipped with an indoor pool/hot tub, outdoor pool/hot tub, indoor playground with ball pit, and outdoor playground. And of course, the room. My kids love a hotel room, despite that I made my oldest two crash on the floor with sleeping bags so that I didn't have to pay extra for two beds. They love sleeping on the floor, though. Even my youngest wanted to sleep with them instead of with me in the bed (though she did find her way into it during the middle of the night).

I sipped my Liquid Morph mixer (I can't down an entire one, 45 g of pure protein goo, so I mix half of one with water and lots of ice) as I watched the kids play in the 2-story slides of the indoor playground. Then it was off to bed, after studying the hotel map to locate the weight room.

Naturally, my bladder awoke me early. These days, I can't pee in a single stream. It sounds like I've got stage fright, the way my pee jerks for ten minutes, but really, there's just so much of it! TMI, I know. Get ready for more to come in my next post . . .

I hit the weight room by 6:30 a.m. Wednesdays are my weight training days. Usually I hit the weight room at the fitness facility I work at, and I hit it hard. Every major muscle group, 3 sets, 8-16 reps, moderate to heavy loads. However, this teeny hotel "fitness room" left much to be desired. There were a few cardio machines, unused at the moment, as was the Schwinn weight system (maybe Schwinn should stick to bikes). I was the sole gym rat in the room. Nice. Since I hadn't bothered with my contacts or make-up or hair. Luckily there were posters on the wall with instructions and photos as to proper use of the all-in-one machine. Though the machine on the posters and the one in the room were slightly different, and I found no good way to work my upper back or biceps. I did the best I could.


As I did my thang in the weight room that morning, I realized all my blog posts have been about my diet. Nothing about my workouts. This is due to the fact that I LIKE working out; it's my job and my addiction. But for the sake of filling in my followers, yes, all 3 of you, here's my typical week (it's different if I'm marathon-training or subbing or teaching workshops):

Monday: 8 am- private yoga client, 9:30 am- teach power yoga class, 8 pm- teach Pilates Fusion class (I consider this day a weights day)
Tuesday: 8:15 am- run 4 miles, 9 am- teach a 30-min. Zumba 9:30 a.m.- PT clients (not much of a workout for me unless I'm demoing something)
Wednesday: 8 a.m.- weights, 9 a.m.- teach Running class (ditto last parenthesis)
Thursday: 8:45 a.m.- elliptical/stairclimber, 9:30 a.m.- teach 40-min Zumba, 20 minutes Pilates
Friday: 8:15 am- teach 1-hr Cycle class, 9:15- weights
Saturday: every other one I teach Power Yoga 8 am, every Sat. I also run my current long distance (this week it was 8.25 miles)
Sunday: rest

I avoid boredom by teaching a variety of different formats. And I love the people in my classes, so even if I feel a little burnt out, once I start going, I feel the music, the endorphins, the positive energy, and I'm always glad I'm there. I know "aerobics instructor" sounds trivial, but I've actually had, more than once, a class participant tell me that's the most fun they've had since their husband/brother/loved one died. And I think, "Wow, a Zumba class? My Cycle class?" A simple hour of allowing them to forget their worries, burdens, stress, anxiety, and throwing all that negative junk into sweat and determination and laughter. Feeling your blood pumping in your veins, your heart rate speeding up, your muscles firing, your very cellular structure changing-- it all makes you know you're alive. And I give that to people every day.

So that's why the workouts are "easy", even though they are far from actually being easy. Well, speaking of easy . . . the hubby just asked what's for dinner.

"Well, I just had 4 hard-boiled egg whites, a slice of turkey, and some raw veggies."

"But what are WE eating?"

"Hmm . . . egg rolls, cereal, veggies and turkey sandwiches?"

"Sandwiches. That sounds good."

"Okay, well, go make it."

Hubby, put out. Sighs. Pouts.

"Okay, I'll make it." Apparently sandwiches are a challenging cuisine.

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment