Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Art of Hard-Boiling Eggs

So I just cooked my first batch of eggs, 22 of them. Because that's how many I had in my fridge. It feels like Easter. I kept a dozen of them in their shell & prepped the rest. I immediately rinsed the eggs under cold water after boiling, for easy shell removal. For the most part, it was easy. I was beginning to feel like a pro. Crack once on top, once on bottom, once on the front, once on the back, and voila-- peels right off. Then came a rebellious little sucker. In the process of trying to gently peel each shell particle off, I lost a good chunk of that precious egg white! So I implore my readers . . . any good egg shell tips?? I can tell this is going to be a time-consuming task, especially compared to the time required to actually ingesting them!

But Jill told me to come up with 3 activities to do when I feel tempted to raid my pantry. I decided 1.) read a book. Because my "to read" stack is continually growing. 2.) walk the dog. Because his shiny fur coat deserves some showing off. and 3.) blog. Because time is always my excuse for not keeping up with one. But now that I won't be spending 10-minute increments staring at my pantry, time is on my side.

Now I can add a 4th- boil and peel eggs.

2 comments:

  1. If you put about 1/4 tsp salt per 6 eggs you boil in the water and then run cold water over them for longer than you think necessary and then let them sit for about 10 more minutes, you lose less egg whites. Also, I am sure you already know this, but I am going to post it just any way because it also helps with the peeling and does away with cracking during boiling: Cover eggs with water and place on stove to boil. Once they have reached a rapid boil, cover them and TURN OFF the heat and let them cook for 15 minutes. (I also think you should stick to the chicken friendly eggs as a fellow animal rights activist:))

    ReplyDelete