Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pre-Diet Part 2

Bring on the sabotaging. I know it will come. Nobody likes the woman who already looks good trying to look better when they themselves lack the motivation to even get off the couch. They will snigger behind my back, or probably to my face(book), that I am going too extreme, that it's not healthy, that I've gone cuckoo. I know this, because I'm sure I've done it myself, usually with a secret jealousy that I lacked the self-motivation and self-discipline to attempt it myself. It's okay if you feel/think any of the above mentioned opinions.

Admittedly, I would not give this diet and training program to any of my clients. Only because it doesn't match their goals nor does it meet my training niche-- which is to help overweight women lose weight and adopt a healthy, active lifestyle, as well as to help fit people overcome injury through alignment exercises. But I do make my clients work harder than they really want to, and now I get to discover just how they feel!

Thanks to my friend Jill, a competitive figure and bodybuilder, I have someone to push me past what I thought I was capable of. And someone to be accountable to. And someone to support me, because she's the crazy who inspired me, and she knows.

So we met last week for the assessment. Basic personal training stuff, which I passed with flying colors. But then she sat me down. I told her my goal. Figure body. A look of sheer excitement crossed her cute face. "Let's do it." She then proceeded to tell me that everything I eat is a no-no. No instant oatmeal packets. No protein bars. No granola bars, or Z bars, or any bar of any sort. Nothing man-made for the most part. Everything should be straight from the bountiful' Earth's ground, trees, or animals (the fat-free variety, of course). No pasta, wheat rolls, or even quinoa with dinner-- that's too late in the day for that much carb. And obviously, no simple carbs! Well, I lie. I get 11 simple carbs with breakfast. That's a drip of agave in my plain oatmeal. And that's it for the entire day. My complex carbs should mostly come during the afternoon, in the form of fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. I'm thrilled about that much at least.

She then told me what I could eat. I won't get too specific here, as the diet was designed for me, my body, my goals, and I wouldn't want to be blamed for some copy-catter attempting my diet and it failing, or worse yet, some high risk individual ending up hospitalized. Needless to say, it's a diet. It restricts calories. It's hi protein, low fat, moderate complex carbs. I nodded, I wrote it down. I tried to think what food has that much protein and that little fat . . . (upon going home and doing my research, I learned that it's not much! egg whites, tuna, chicken, fish. the end.)

I must insert, ACE & AFAA have firmly resolved that we as instructors and trainers should teach, no more than 15% protein a day. I quizzed my friend on this fact. She acknowledged that the majority of people should follow the basic rule. But she, and now myself, are not in the majority. Jill looks great; she exudes youthfulness and health and energy and vitality (she's a mother of 6!) I'm trusting her on this one. Hopefully my kidneys and spleen hold up with this much protein. Stay tuned on this one . . .

Despite some concerns, I'm ready. And excited. Now I just have to figure out what I'll be eating for the next 5 weeks and food prep. Brand new body, here I come!

And as extra motivation, I bought some jeans that are too tight. See pic. (WARNING: mild to moderate muffin-top images follow. shield your eyes if you are prone to nausea and vomiting at the sight of muffin-top.) I'm also posting before pics. And during and after pics to log my transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment